Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Life is fragile ...

I felt disturbed after watching a video clip on Youtube. It was a death video of a soccer player. I guess I was merely curious about the whole incident and how it happened but now it seems curiosity really killed the cat in me. Disturbed by the fact that life is nothing more than a blade of grass found in a vast piece of land.

Each blade of grass represents each being on earth. Fragile and waiting to wither. The saddest thing is that you will never know when its your turn to be struck by those strong arms of Death. I am sure the soccer player who died recently in a game between Seville and Getafe never knew it was his last time playing the game he loved. Same goes for the Army Captain that collapsed after a 21 kilometer run, he too never knew that after reaching that finishing point, it would also signify the end of life's journey.

Cardiac arrest was likely the cause of these unfortunate deaths. So what is cardiac arrest? Its the sudden abrupt loss of the heart function that is likely due to coronary heart disease, respiratory arrest etc. It can also occur without any known cause. Its a silent killer in all of us.

Can you imagine athletes whom are fit and supposedly living the healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and workouts collapsing just like that? What more would it be if its someone like me. I am someone who plays soccer once in awhile without even warming up and I often play for about 60 minutes a week. Other than soccer, I hardly exercise much. Am I also at risk of a cardiac arrest every time I participate in vigorous activities? I guess as long as we have a heart that pumps, we are all at risk of having that heart stopped for no apparent reason. A joke that God pulls off without thinking of the consequence of sobbing family, relatives and friends.

If given a chance to choose the way I die, I would choose to die in bed, with family and friends having the opportunity to bid me farewell and to tell me how much I was treasured in my lifetime. Like many others, I will not like leaving this world quietly without goodbyes. I want to tell how much I love my family and friends, I don't want to be unheard.

I guess instead of pondering about how fragile life is, we should take every opportunity, every moment with family and friends and let them know how important and treasured they are. Let's not take things for granted and live life to the fullest cause we never will know when that time will come for us to be one of God's latest prank.

No comments: