Tuesday, September 11, 2007

That familiar face ...

I was walking with a colleague this afternoon when she suddenly told me an ex-classmate just walked past her. I asked if we needed to stop so that she could say hello but she shook her head and just walked on.

I guess this scenario happens to each of us once in awhile. To see that old familiar face that could be a mischevious classmate seated just beside us, an ex-girlfriend that you broke up with or perhaps sometimes, a teacher that taught your most hated subject.

I sometimes face this dilemma of whether to stop and greet that person you once called friend or just walk on pretending not to see the person. Very often, I choose the latter. Its not that I am shy though I really am but its more like if this person would be able to recognise you.

How often do you come across a person who suddenly walks up to you and say ' Hi Mark, it's been a long time, how are you?' and at this instance, you strain your memory cells and make quick flashes of your life trying to put a name to this friendly face that just greeted you and very often, you just cannot remember his name. Bang! So how would you continue the conversation? It would be really embarrassing if you said ' Well, I am fine but I somehow cannot remember your name.' This will somehow smash the ego in the other person.

Let's face it, I am sure you must have faced this kind of awkward encounter and totally feel horrible that you cannot remember his name. So what do you do? You apologise and start feeling bad about forgetting his name or perhaps you cook up a story and explain saying you had a bad fall and some parts of your memory went missing. Kidding. Don't even think of this trick! It does not work, I have tried it but don't you ask me who the other person was, I won't tell ...

Perhaps you can casually ask for his email address and tell him you are going to organise a party and that you will write him an email informing him of the details. This way, you will somehow be able to get his name once more. Bet you never thought of this idea.

Uh-huh.So you thought you were brilliant. So what happens if his email was 'greensniper@gmail.com'. Bang! Now you find yourself in thick smoke and a bit lost. At this point of time, you have two choices, to play on the bluff or to admit that you cannot remember his name.

For me, I would give him my mobile number and ask him to call me immediately so that I could keep his number in my phone book. After splitting up, I would then drop him a sms saying ' John, I have been waiting for you at the bus stop, please give me your exact location. I don't want to wait any longer. I am running late.'

Very often, in minutes, a reply will arrive in your inbox. 'Mark, I think you sent to the wrong person, this is Freddie but anyway, it was nice seeing you again. Keep in touch. '

No comments: