Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Vestibular Neuritis ...

Stunned by the title? So was I when the doctor diagnosed me this morning. So what is Vestibular Neuritis? Its a viral infection of the vestibular nerve. Don't ask me where this nerve is but if you are interested, you may wish to 'google' it to know more.The vestibular nerve carries information from the inner ear about head movement. When one of the two vestibular nerves is infected, there is an imbalance between the two sides, and vertigo appears.

It came about when I was about to reach my office this morning. It hit me suddenly while I was driving and I felt somewhat uncomfortable with my condition. I pulled into the nearest parking lot and sat still for awhile. It was fine after minutes but when I moved again, the dizziness steps in and this time, with an urge to vomit. So I did. At the nearest drain available. I knew something wasn't right and hit the number of my colleague.

Moments later, Audrey and Michelle appeared. The Rescue Team, they called themselves. Its comforting to see familiar faces that could help me and not passers-by who do not even know my name. This two ladies brought me to the doctor as I felt really unstable to make it there myself. Audrey drove and seriously, I somehow didn't feel secure but I must say she did rather well having driven me back to Marine Terrace.

The other angel Michelle was in charged of supporting me, holding me and making sure I didn't fall. Most of the time, my eyes were closed as having the eyes opened made me giddy. She led the way and I trusted her. At that moment when I walked with my eyes closed, I figured the plight of a visually handicapped and how that important guiding hand made a difference.

The doctor gave me two days of medical rest and advised me to sleep in all day, all night. He believes I should be well in about 2-3 days and I too am confident I will be up and ready to play soccer on Friday night. What to do? The doctor also said exercise is good for the body system. ; )

As for now, I shall turn back to my lovely bed and take a nap before the dizziness kicks in again. The feeling is rather terrible, just like you are in a 'sampan' (a relatively flat bottomed Chinese wooden boat), rocking away in the rough sea. I guess this is a preliminary test to see if I am able to take up a boating license especially when I am unable to conquer the air. Thanks to my not so perfect eye sight.

No comments: