Saturday, November 10, 2007

To clear or not to clear ...

This evening, Sandy and I suddenly had a craving for some ice cream at McDonalds thus we decided to visit an outlet right in the far east of Singapore - Pasir Ris White Sands. With us were my two younger brothers and godparents.

Like many other McDonald chains, its crowded yet we were lucky to have found a table big enough for the six of us. One little issue, the table still had a tray with used ketchup, paper wraps and some soiled tissue. Its rather obvious the previous customer seated at that table didn't take the initiative to clear the table OR like most Singaporeans, we have a habit of relying on someone to clean after us.

I looked around and couldn't locate a staff to help us clear the table.I guess it wasn't like I was in a hawker centre whereby I could seek the assistance of a cleaner to help wipe the table and dispose of the plates, spoons etc. We were at McDonalds, a fastfood chain where people usually had to do everything themselves. So what else could we do but take the tray of leftovers and send it down the bin. Weisheng was given the honour to do such a task.

It wasn't at all a difficult task to put away the tray but then I suddenly recalled something. Didn't McDonalds used to hire retired folks on a part time basis to help out with such chores like cleaning of tables and chucking away trays. Where have these uncles and aunties gone to? Are their services no longer required? Have Singaporeans learnt the etiquette of self-disposal? I don't think so. Many times when I visit fastfood chains, I do not see people clearing the table after they are done with their meal.

So two contradicting thoughts came up :

Thought number 1 - If Singaporeans knew how to behave and be responsible to clear tables after they are done with their food, it would be less of a hassle for the next customer patronising the restaurant.

Thought number 2 - If Singaporeans really did clear their own tables after meals, wouldn't there be a group of familiar faces like the 'uncles and aunties' we so often see at hawker centres and fastfood chains be without jobs.

After harbouring such thoughts, I do not know which is the right thing to do - to clear the table or not. If I cleared it on my own, no job will be created but if I didn't clear the table and left it for someone to do it then that someone would have his bread and butter. So which path do we take? I am left confused ....

No comments: