Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Happenings at a wedding ...

Last night, I attended the first wedding dinner of the year 2008 and for a second time in my 'wedding-going career', the 10 seater table wasn't filled fully by common friends thus we shared the table as well as food with complete strangers.

It not unusual for such practice in Singapore to share tables with complete stranges. Just look at how Singaporeans ask to share tables at a food court especially during the peak period. I have heard that the table arrangements with whom sits with whom is the most difficult part to organise.

True indeed. If you place them wrongly, an unhappy face will surface just like it did last night.Perhaps not an unhappy face but just a long and unsmiling one that could mislead the people around to think that we are some enemy of hers.

In a typical Chinese dinner, its usually an 8-course meal with a cold dish to start and a soup that follows. Last night was the same. What followed the starter was sharks' fin with fish maw soup. Yummy. This dish is usually the highlight of the night as sharks' fin is labelled as a delicacy despite it being cruel removing a fin from a swimming fish, leaving it stranded with no power to propel forward.

Forget the theories of whether its right or wrong to partake in such indulgence of sharks' fin soup. What happened last night made me burst out in laughter. There we had a waiter who was obviously a foreigner serving us the soup. At all Chinese meals, a big bowl of soup would be placed in the middle with smaller bowls at the side. Now, picture this.

Our foreigner took one hand on the serving ladel and the other hand on a plate with a totally flat surface. He was about to scoop some soup with the plate in the other hand reaching out to the big bowl of fins when a friend interrupted saying, "Maybe you want to use the bowl." The rest of us in our group (not table) burst out laughing.

The poor foreigner gave that puzzled look. He looked lost. He never intended to use the plate to serve the soup. He was merely using the plate to make sure the soup didn't drip on the table as the soup was transferred to the smaller serving bowls. It was funny then but am sure you aren't laughing at all. Maybe the description above isn't good enough. Never mind.

So like all wedding dinners, a thank-you speech by the hosts will be always be given. That surely goes the same for me. Mine will surely go on very long.What to do? So many people played a part in my growth. So if you are attending my wedding, please bear with me as I list all the names that play a part in my life. :)

The next wedding am going to attend is one of the most important ones. A best friend's wedding.Who else but Hanwen and Clara's. I remembered I hosted a wedding in Mandarin last year for Lance and Monica, that one sure scared me dry.

This time for Hanwen, there's also a scary part whereby I will perform to a crowd of 500 people. Playing the piano and singing. Wish me luck. I need it.Am hoping I won't make a fool of myself and be laughed at. If this one plan is successful, you'll get to see me perform at my wedding too.

So thanks Hanwen for allowing me to try it at your wedding. Trust me. There is a chance that I'll mess my vocals and notes up. But at least you'll know, its from the heart.

No comments: