Monday, March 03, 2008

Pick those coins ...

There was one evening while waiting for Sandy, I took a walk at Borders trying to find a book to read and purchase but instead, something round and shiny caught my eye.

Lying on the floor with shimmering light reflecting from it, I realised it was a 5-cent coin. Many people walked passed and caught a glimpse of the fallen hero but noone wanted to adopt it.

The reason was clear. It was 5-cents and not a dollar. Can you remember the last time you picked up a coin on the street? Were you smiling and showing it off to your friends or parents as if it were a prized trophy you had just won. The innocence coupled with ignorance provided a sense of joy. Well, at least for me.

Like I said, that happened only when I was younger.
So why the change? I guess it lies pretty much on the value. What was valuable then seems so much different now. What 5-cents could bring us previously isn't going to lead us to any thing now. That's what inflation is about.

Perhaps for the next many generations from now, a 2-dollar note would also follow the fate of the 5-cent coin which I didn't pick up the other day. Its sad isn't it but maybe, that's what we call progress.

No comments: