Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Olympics ....


Its the Olympic fever right now thus how can I not write anything about this BIG event that is going on in Asia.

This is a time when people from all different countries, races and backgrounds come together to compete in a sporting event. When I meant different countries, its so true that I cannot figure out some of the flags. Not to say that my geography is bad but I don't think you know how the flag of Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan look like ya?

This evening, I watched a wrestling event which I never knew existed in the Olympic Games and what's worst, I don't even know the scoring system. I just found that the game looked very similar to that of Sumo Wrestling, which is part of the Japanese heritage.

So watching it and with no understanding how the game goes, I just sat there staring at two white men fighting for a medal. Not knowing why and how points were awarded. Nevertheless, I stuck my eyes on the screen till a winner was declared.

OK, now picture this. Award ceremony, four medalists standing together waiting for their medals. As the whole world watches each of them receiving their medals, no smile was seen their faces. Grim faces receiving medals. They never spoke among themselves and I found it really weird. I wondered what were they thinking. Weren't they satisfied that they could leave Beijing with a medal?

I don't know the answer but shouldn't they be mingling among themselves and shaking hands, sending well wishes to each other? No, they just stood there like robots. Somehow I thought I knew the answer to the grim faces. Afterall, the silver and bronze medalists were from Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan and guess what, they were all from the former Russian Empire. As in history textbooks, these countries formed only when the Russian Empire dissolved and guess who won the Gold? You guessed it right.

No comments: