Sunday, January 04, 2009

After 10 years ...

I remembered reading the bible 10 years ago and I was pretty close to completing both the new testament as well as old testament. Bet you didn't know that and this might be a shocker too, I used to go to church pretty regularly too.

Anyway, don't ask me further but I thought I'll share my experience about my visit to a church after 10 years.

My mother-in-law was baptized this afternoon at a church in the eastern side of Singapore and Sandy, Beatrice and I witnessed the event.

I sat and listened to the sermon patiently and pretty attentively. I heard every word the pastor spoke but at the same time I looked all around me. It was quite a big congregation that was present at the chapel hall but I was rather disappointed with the behavior of some fellow church goers.

There were people who talked loudly on their mobile phones while some were dozing off and sending text messages. This wasn't something I experienced when I was in the previous church I attended. I felt really uncomfortable seeing the many people who were not sensitive to the people around. Perhaps, Singaporeans really don't know their manners. They don't know how to behave.

Forget the incident at the church. If such a thing can happen at a church, why not cinemas? We still experience fellow movie buffs having their phones ringing in the middle of a show. Again, I think Singaporeans really need to learn to be graceful just like what our government campaigns are about. It is sad but it is true that this happens in a country like Singapore. Maybe the government should put a hefty price tag to this - yet another fine imposed.

Back to the church event earlier, I felt like visiting old friends at my previous church at Cambridge Road. Pastor Richard, Collidear and if Timothy is still around, it'll be nice to re-visit those days with him again. Frankly, I miss that chap.

No comments: