Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My two younger brothers ...



Despite being many years apart from both my younger brothers, it seems that I am still able to communicate with them. Either I am still young at heart or they have both matured tremendously over the years. I choose to believe the latter. ; )

We had a very interesting conversation over the long weekend. A conversation that brought us into the world of dreams and fantasy.

By 2030, February 15 at 1645hrs, Jun Sheng will have three or four houses built for us three brothers to live together in unity within a same compound. The fourth would house all the folks. Isn't it good that he dares to dream BIG?

This blog isn't exactly about my brothers but frankly, it is nice to hear that my two younger brothers still have me in their future plans and that I will still be an important part of their life despite them likely being married with kids by then. Again, we don't know if things would change at a later stage but I sure hope it wouldn't and that all three of us will stay close and maintain the relationship we enjoy currently.

I see it in many families where after marriage, siblings drift apart and talking like strangers meeting for the first time. Pretty sad isn't it? I dare say this happens within our extended family tree too.

Siblings that do not really talk to each other or perhaps don't even remember one another's birthday. Is that what marriage did to them? I don't know but family unity is important despite the differences in opinions. Everyone has an opinion, that's for sure.

I see the 'closeness' of the relationship of my father and his siblings. I see the same 'closeness' of the relationship of my mother and her siblings. I see the same in cousins who each live not only in their own world but physically apart in different locations.

Is that how relationships end? This is no ordinary relationship. It is bonded by blood of siblings and the person whom you spent most of your childhood and growing up years with. It is sad to see siblings drift apart and I am sure I don't want this to happen to my own children next time.

Frankly, the strongest family ties I see so far is likely that of my father-in-law's extended family. All the siblings despite being so far away from one another still tend to call each other and gossip about things. At least they talk. They interact.

Well, what can I say but if only .......

No comments: