Sunday, August 12, 2007

Face masks ...

Was walking along Orchard Road when I saw someone in a face mask. Found it a little interesting to know that such habits are still practiced after post-SARS days.Not that I found it funny but I was just wondering the reason behind the mask.

Two possibilities to why this lady was wearing a mask.

1) She was sick and did not want to spread the germs.
2) She was afraid she will be contaminated with other bacteria or virus.

I would have to say this lady was civic minded. She cared for the people around her and would not allow others to catch the bug she already had.

Would you and I do the same when we fall sick? I doubt it. I had fallen sick quite a number of times this year. Knowing me, my immunity level is rather low and can catch viruses easily. Even though I were to be given medical leave to rest at home, I sometimes go back to the office to work. WITHOUT a mask, and what happens later? Fellow colleagues atart sneezing and catching the flu bug too.

Perhaps, I will have to learn from the lady I saw at Orchard Road, to put on a mask and not be afraid of the curious eyes staring at me. Its not wrong isn't it to have a mask placed over my mouth to protect myself and the people around me from the bugs.

Let us not forget the horrendous experienced we had when the killer SARS threatened our lives and our economy.Let us start behaving like civic minded Singaporeans, caring as much for the community as possible but bear in mind that should you walk into a bank, a masked face might put you behind bars.

No comments: