Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Meals alone ...

Many of my friends who know me well enough will also know that I never like eating alone and if I ever have to eat alone, it will be a take-away meal for me. You must think I am nuts but I just feel its kind of pitiful to be having a meal alone. It makes me feel like I have no friends, which of course is not true.

Let me tell you a little story about a meal I had alone. I remember clearly this all happened at McDonald's in Jurong about a few years ago.

Stomach growling and all alone, I decided to drive to the nearest McDonald's to fill the tummy. I ordered a Big Mac value meal and was told that Big Mac was not ready thus I was told to wait for about 5 minutes or so. Well, It was fine with me, another 5 minutes won't kill me thus I decided to take my regular French Fries and an upsized Diet Coke and find myself a table.

Like any other patrons, I took time to squeeze some ketchup on the serviettes before I dipped my fries in them. Took a sip or two of Diet Coke and waited for my Big Mac to be served fresh from the kitchen. Waited for awhile and no one approached me with any burgers thus I decided to approach the counter and asked for my Big Mac. I was told its coming and that they will deliver it to me in the next three minutes. Okay, being patient me, I turned around only to see an elderly woman taking my tray of fries and beverage walking towards the bin.

What could I do? She was an old lady making a living by wiping tables and clearing trays that are left behind by customers. I cannot blame her for throwing my food away because I did not make any indication on that table stating that I am still around in the fast food restaurant. I decided to walk out of McDonald's and forget my Big Mac. What's the point? If I had to take my Big Mac, I would surely need another drink.

Its a lesson learnt for me, never to eat alone as you never know what will happen to your food should you leave it unattended. Frankly, its not because of this incident that I never eat alone, its just that I love the company of friends while having a meal. Period.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally. Food is to be partaken and shared amongst our friends and loved ones. What's the point in eating alone?

Of course, out of necessity and practically, I have to eat alone sometimes, and so do many people I know. But if given a choice, I will go exploring the best food and get my gastronomical juices satisfied with people I know and care about!