Saturday, August 18, 2007

Reactive tastebuds.

Lifestyles differ from person to person. Some insist in carrying the latest Louis Vitton handbag, some prefer donning the trendiest watch and some like me just prefer pampering the sense of taste with quality food. Of course, there are some which can have all of them but for me, not yet but soon hopefully.

Lifestyle often described as the habits, tastes and economic level that together constitutes the mode of living by an individual or a group of people. It could be simple, expensive or 'undesirable'.

Let's skip the 'undesirable' category as this is usually the abnormal group of people that likely indulge in everything negative from drugs to alocohol and sexual flings.

In every cents (pun intended), economic level of an individual plays an important part in a lifestyle. I would think its unhealthy for anyone to live beyond one's means and accumulate heaps of credits just to sustain his or her lifestyle. For me now, I wouldn't want to indulge in the latest gadgets, latest fashion etc although I often have a desire to want them all but there is something peculiar which I require. Its food. It has to have quality. It need not be expensive but it has to give me a sense of satisfaction after I finish my meal.

Just yesterday, Lance and Monica met us ( this would often mean Sandy and I ) for dinner at a Korean restaurant at Heeren. Excited, we ordered a few popular dishes but were rather disappointed when it was served. The food presentation wasn't anywhere near average nor was the taste any good let alone the service staff weren't all that friendly.

During the meal, there were some comparison with another Korean restaurant that we often frequent at Mosque Street, Jang Won's the name. Everything was perfect there, authentic or not I cannot tell as I have not been lucky enough to visit Korea but its confirmed the chefs and staff are Korean.

In the midst of comparison, we recalled that we ever had our meal in the same Korean restaurant in Heeren 3 years ago but why was it then, there were no complains. Immediately I realised, we might have acquired better taste and expectations. What was good then might not be good enough now. All thanks to better economic levels and exposure to better quality food. I mean if given a choice, you would never want to downgrade from a BMW to a KIA right? I guess it works the same for food, at least for me.

Its true, if you experienced the best stuff, you wouldn't want to go for second-best if you could afford it right? I had dinner with my buddy Hanwen and wife at Shangri-la's 'The Line', a coffee house with a buffet theme. It was fabulous. Tasty food with good presentation. Who could resist? I mean I have been to many other buffets at Oriental's 'Melt, The World Cafe', Ritz Carton's 'Green House' and Conrad's 'Oscars' but 'The Line' I feel is still the best.

It's ironic as when I was in my worst economic times, a buffet near the heartland malls was more than enough to bring smiles to my face but now, its doesn't anymore. Well, I know, it is really bad to be picky about food but I guess that is how people improve and strive for the better. Who wouldn't want a better lifestyle?

I have spoken lots about the more expensive food but the truth is , the food need not be expensive to make me happy. It can be cheap hawker but the food must tastes just as good. I love hawker food too only that in hawker centres, I tend to perspire more but what to do? That's the price you have to pay when the food is cheap and good. For example, I would never eat claypot rice anywhere else except for two food joints, one in 328 Clementi and the other at the makeshift market along Cantonment Road. This two places have the best claypot rice and having to wait for at least forty five minutes, it's all worth it!

I guess as time progresses together with one's economic levels, the exposure to higher quality desires is inevitable but we still have to remember the good old roots that made us who we are and not forget the family and friends around us. Let's not allow lifestyles to manipulate us but instead , let us be the ones to control of our lifestyles.

No comments: