Sunday, August 05, 2007

Save the Earth but leave the A/C alone ...



It has been quite a while since I made efforts to save planet Earth - guess its time now.

After a birthday party this evening, I returned home only to see pieces of paper stuck on walls - all of which are reminders to switch off all electrical appliances and lights before I sink into dreamland.

Sandy's father is quite a planet loving chap who believes in recycling and being environmental friendly. Look at it this way, its also a cost cutting measure especially when the stock market's indices went diving southwards.

Don't get me wrong - I am still allowed to have my air-conditioner (A/C) on as I can only fall asleep with the air-conditioner switched on to a temperature of 18 degrees celcius. Like vegetables and meat in the refrigerator, I too need to be cooled to stay fresh.

I guess with the amount of electricity we use in households nowadays are really crazy. Almost everything in the house needs to be powered. Internet requires electricity especially when technology has advanced to going wireless, charging of mobile phones and MP3 players etc.

Can you imagine what happens when all our resources of energy disappear from Earth? Yes, that thought is really scary. We can only depend on sources of light from the sun and candles. We will go straight back to the Stone Age days, just like the cartoon characters in Hanna-Barberra's Flintstones.

Perhaps not. NASA or some other space agencies must have worked something out. Drawing energy from other planets in the solar system. Who knows, the next source of energy might come from some meteor shower or magical stones found on the moon. Let's be hopeful.

Nevertheless, I guess we should stick to saving planet Earth and switching off all energy consuming appliances before we go to bed, afterall we won't be needing them when we sleep - of course with exception to the air-conditioner.

No comments: