Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Who's me ....?

Its been quite sometime since I have been reprimanded by friends who just cannot take my nonsense. Believe it or not, I have been labelled as 'beng' -an equivalent of a street bum in Singapore's context.

Taken from the Hokkien dialect, 'bengs' are people who speak loudly, act tough and often stray to the wrong side of the law. Most importantly, they are often found hanging out in groups, loitering in older malls and in coffee shops.

There I was, seated in an alfresco setting, under beautifully landscaped trees with jazz music in the background, hanging out with few other close friends for dinner at Oosh, a newly established restaurant at Dempsey Road. Not a typical 'beng' hangout. Not even close.

Whispering to Hanwen rather softly with the occasional hand gestures and having our eyes stuck to the group of teenage girls seated across our table, I suddenly found myself being hurled at and verbally abused by Clara. My oh my....! She scolded us for acting childish and behaving like polytechnic students oogling at girls.

Now, what on earth was wrong that we cannot whisper, smile and admire the beauty works of Earth. There is nothing wrong at all in exchanging opinions and talking about the 'dream girl' we always dreamt of when we were schoolboys. Pure men's talk. Isn't this similar to women's talk of cute male celebrities and latest fashion trends?

Being labelled as a 'beng' is too harsh a word to be used on this two gentlemen. What's said remains said, there is no turning back with those hurting words as they destroy a man's dignity and ego. 'Beng' is too demeaning, perhaps 'buaya' would be more suitable.

*buaya is a Malay word for crocodile. Also to describe a man's cheeky character especially towards females.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, it's me! :-) You can really pen your thoughts very well! Honestly, I find there's nothing wrong with a group of guys looking at girls. We girls do the same thing - look at guys. Its just human nature.

Having said that, there's one thing just looking, and another thing trying to come on too strong. Looking is harmless, but getting to know the girls by trying to be cheeky will irritate them.

Cooper_bumperbee said...

Well, this is unlike me to write in here but I really need to clarify myself. Firstly, I didnt verbally abused you and I didnt term u as a " beng" (or probably I shld say I didnt mean that you are a beng).

I dont find anything wrong with you guys looking at girls and vice versa(beautiful things are meant to be looked at) but as i was sitting directly opposite you, the way i see u guys behave really reminds me of teenagers trying to gossip to each other about girls. It was just a thought that came through my mind. I have no ill intention at all.

I have no qualms about guys looking at gals but try looking at them in a gentlemen way and not in a cheeky way. It will probably reflect better on oneself.

"Remember its fine for a girl to gossip but for a guy to do it, it just reflect differently."