Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Living that dream...

Entering the reception at MediaCorp this evening brought me memories of me 13 years ago. You must be wondering what on earth was I doing at SBC (Singapore Broadcasting Corporation before it became MediaCorp) at the young age of 15. It was exactly the same reason why I was there tonight but only from a different stand point. This time I was there as part of the audience to catch 'Live The Dream'

13 years ago,I too tried living a dream when a friend of mine formed Image,a 3 person band that played its own original songs, written and composed by 15 year olds. I still remembered how nerve wrecking it was then when we were waiting for our turn to perform in a song writing competition on national television's only Mandarin channel- Channel 8.

Well, the outcome was that we won no glamour as we fell out in the semi-finals, losing to the winners of the competition.( at least we managed to win a second in another competition that same year ) Well, it didn't matter that we lost but am sure three of us had that valuable experience that many never will have, to perform in front of national television.Something which I believe might never happen for me again but fingers crossed.

Watching the contestants of Live The Dream this evening, I could feel their mixed feelings of joy and anxiety as they each took their chance to achieve that dream.That very dream they always dreamt of could just shatter in front of their very eyes should they hit the wrong note.

Let's give them applause for mustering courage to step out there and try living their dreams. Seriously, how many of us here dare to step out of that comfort zone and venture in a journey that you have once upon a time longed for. A journey that could lead to your dreams of stardom, glamour and success. If you asked me, I don't have those guts. Gutless I am. Afraid to face failure in the eyes, its the very reason I want to stay comfortable and not tread stormy waters.

Then again, there is another side of us that still struggle within, searching for that answer, searching for that unfulfilled dream. If only I could live life again and turn back time, I would pursue my dreams wholeheartedly and wipe out all obstacles in my way, making sure the dream comes true but for now, its only if.

No comments: