Friday, August 24, 2007

His birthday concert ...

Dick Lee has turned 51 today and how else could the 'Master of Singlish' celebrate his birthday? Of course, by singing tunes familiar to his family, friends and fans. I have to say I was really lucky to be able to attend this concert, I kind of waited almost 2 years for this. Two years no big deal right? ( Singlish kicking in, too much of Dick's influence liao la) It seemed to me that only two rows of seats were left for fans, the rest were family and friends.

I have to thank Sandy for purchasing these tickets for me to catch tonight's concert, she even bought me Dick Lee's 30th Anniversary 'Life Stories' concert DVD. I wish she could buy the whole series of albums displayed at the counter but let's not be too greedy. By the way, I was shocked to find that the DVD we bought was empty without its disc. Will have to make a call to Singapore Repertoire Theatre tomorrow or Music and Movement to get a replacement.

Watching Dick perform made me sit and pay attention, I didn't fidget nor did I even stetch my legs. Can you believe it? Two hours of singing and dancing. Yes, Dick danced to what he called Dance Sensation, a medley of dance music from Disco to Line-Dancing. Was really entertaining. Of course, Dick will never waste this opportunity to display his love for our nation and that of our neighbour, Malaysia.

Having all proceeds donated to the Singapore Repertoire Theatre, it was annouced that the show alone raised up to S$50,000. Quite a hefty sum for a small group of about a hundred odd crowd. Nevertheless, Dick Lee has showed great showmanship together with his brothers John and Peter who also performed a song each.They sure are a musically inclined family. Am looking forward to Dick's next public performance and hopefully the next time round, he'll play my favourite songs, Life Story and Bunga Sayang.

No comments: