Monday, October 15, 2007

Emcee ...


I have been assigned an important role at Ellen's wedding, to play the role of an emcee. This time its going to be as tough or even tougher as the previous emcee role I took on for Lance's wedding in June. I am present in two languages, English and my mother tongue Mandarin.

Not too sure how I am going to perform this time round but I sure will not forget the experience I had at Lance's wedding - a full Mandarin conversation with the crowd or perhaps, was just making announcements as the guests never really reacted to my jokes. ; (

So Ellen has placed an important task in my hands and I know I have to do my best juggling two languages on a stage in front of 300 odd guests and 3 percent of which are my friends. Would my jokes bring laughter to the audience or would my mere appearance and look on my face make them laugh? It doesn't matter, as long as the audience understand 60 percent of what I say, that's good enough.

Ellen isn't expecting much from me and has somewhat allowed me to use Singlish - a mixture of English, Mandarin and other local dialects. Guess on that night, I will put in a mixture of English verbs followed by Mandarin nouns. I think that's going to be funny and hopefully the guests wouldn't laugh at me as a person but laugh at the jokes I crack.

No comments: