Friday, October 26, 2007

Lost in the city ...

I was walking out for lunch at Tanjong Pagar this afternoon when I suddenly realized there was this lady jumping and shrieking whilst looking at the ground. From a distance, I saw this dark colored insect moving in all directions as if it was lost amidst the moving legs of women and men clothed in power suits and branded ties.

I had this funny thought. I pictured myself as the cockroach and in my insect world, those legs were towering skyscrapers. I was just doing my daily chores and somehow wondered too far out of the domestic house and into the city. Traffic was bad and these 'skyscrapers' were intimidating.

I looked around at the numerous 'buildings' and was trying hard to find a direction out of misery and fear. I was lost. I couldn't find any way out and I wasn't happy being placed a vulnerable position and I never had the intentions to venture into the city. I was told by fellow cockroaches the dangers of skyscrapers and how they can potentially kill.

I wriggled my way in and out, sometimes missing a disaster along the way. It was tiring having to avoid getting killed especially when you just don't know when that deadly strike would come. Its was a sad moment all right. Dodging with every step I made with my many legs. The wings I carried weren't helping either. I persisted and went on, not giving up the journey to find my destination but the more I dwelled in finding the exit, the more lost I became. Frustrated, I charged forward without taking notice of lurking danger. Squashed. Am history.

In life, we often find ourselves in the shoes of the cockroach mentioned. We do things that we didn't really intended to do but we have no choice to change things but to stay on the fight. We get tired and want to give it all up but we cannot because we do not know how to handle the next phase of life.

When we eventually do stop to figure out the correct path and in search of our own way of life - to have desires and dreams, it somewhat becomes too late because by then we would have lost our youth and time and thus like everyone else,we just slowly fade away.

If right now you think you are not happy with your work, its very well true you aren't happy. So if you can and if it isn't going to be too costly, you should jolly well move on and acheive those dreams of yours and if you unfortunately do not succeed when chasing those dreams, at least you won't live to regret it.Let us not allow days to pass without even attempting a try in acheiving those dreams but place every muscle and strength to work towards the dream and attain what you always believed in.

No comments: