Monday, January 07, 2008

A & E ... wait ...

I have to say its been awhile since I visited the A & E. Let's not make it seem like I am always falling sick thus the visit to the Accident and Emergency department in a hospital. Accidents do happen especially when I involve myself in risky ball games called soccer.

Last night's visit wasn't in anyway related to my physical health or mental health so stop calling me a weakling. I was there at the crowded A & E because my godfather wasn't feeling well. He had difficulty breathing thus the immediate response to send him to the nearest hospital - Changi General Hospital.

I was a little surprised that we had to be screened for fever before entering A & E. I guess the reason for this defence is due to the SARS outbreak that hit the region couple of years back thus the measure to make sure such fatal bacteria wouldn't disrupt the lives of Singaporeans ever again.

Anyway, lets talk more about the things I saw at the hospital rather than the health of my godpa which I believe wouldn't interest you at all. While seated there for about 2 hours waiting to get clinical measurements, consultation and X-ray, I was entertained by the moving people around me.

You cannot believe how the A & E seemed like a busy shopping mall with lots of human traffic and seriously, I didn't really see people who seemed to really need the services of the Accident and Emergency area.

Some were coughing while others had rashes. The most common face was the NS boy with the typical black plastic spectacles and short hair. Perhaps like me many years back, they were trying to get themselves downgraded. Looking at them reminded myself of days that I donned green. Really funny.

Doctors seem more than nurses and accompanying visitors more than patients.It seemed like a weird ratio of one patient, four visitors and believe it or not, most patients and visitors came prepared with PSP and MP3 but poor me, could only people-watch.

As the assigned numbers for consultation wasn't at all in sequence, we had a hard time figuring out when its our turn and didn't dare leave our seats for fear that we'll have to wait even longer after our number passed us by. 3166, 3173 .. every other number except 3165 which appeared only after 2 hours of insane waiting.

Sometimes I wonder how they categorize the patients to know whom is critical and whom can wait for the doctor. Our dear patient whom I brought to the hospital was suffering from breathing difficulties yet it seem like he didn't need any attention at all. Where was the sense of urgency at all. Its breathing problem and not a sprained ankle. We all know how petty the body is when it doesn't get enough air it needs, it just collapses and dies yet it didn't seem at all urgent to see a man who was feeling uncomfortable in breathing.

Only close to three hours of waiting did we manage to step out of the hospital without medication and why? Doctor felt there wasn't anything major defects found in the patient and thus sent him home to catch the sleep he so longed for. I am sure the old man regretted visiting the A & E ward but if in any case when one doesn't feel well, the assurance from a doctor saying that all is fine, the dreams that appear in your head while sleeping will surely be sweeter.

No comments: