Saturday, January 19, 2008

Makansutra ...

Few days back, I caught an episode of Seetoh's Makansutra Raw on local television. Its a pity the food featured didn't really give me the cravings I always had for food nor did it leave me drooling wet. Why you must ask especially for a person like me who loves eating out?

It wasn't the food presentation that didn't appeal to me but it was the actions of the presenter that kind of put me off. Weren't we taught in school or at least at home that when one has food in the mouth, one should just keep the mouth shut and not talk?

Apparently, the Makan ( Malay word for eating ) host even went on to the extreme of leaving his mouth open and showing off the chewed food he had. I call it an act of disgust and perhaps, some might think it to be funny the way he carries himself but have we ever thought of the reaction foreigners might have of us as Singaporeans?

Foreigners may just feel that Singaporeans are a bunch of people who do not know their basic table manners. Why on earth would anyone want to show the contents of the mouth after chewing off some chocolate cake? Showing off the strength of stickiness the chocolate used in the cake? I think its just pure uncouth to do such an act.

Maybe the host wanted an informal approach but certainly this isn't the right way to do it. I guess we can forgive an 8 year old boy to behave like that but not a man of his age. Can you imagine if children were to find his acts amusing and want to follow his way of talking with a full mouth? We don't know how long it will take us to be a cultured , educated and refined society. Am sure its going to take many more years ...

The above is just my personal opinion on Seetoh's presentation of Makansutra Raw but I have to say it sure is a good avenue to find out what's cooking in Singapore.
You may visit www.makansutra.com for more details on where you can find the best food in Singapore. It wouldn't point you in the wrong direction where food is concerned but for table manners - NO.

No comments: