Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Leslie Cheung ... a fallen star on April Fool's

Five years ago on this very day, Leslie Cheung ended his life by plunging down The Oriental hotel in Hong Kong. As rumours started spreading, everyone thought of it as an April Fool's joke but not until the late night news confirmed the incident. Leslie indeed took his own life.

In Hong Kong, fans of Leslie are more likely to be mourning than pulling pranks today. Afterall, a hero of canto pop needs to be remembered on this very day.

I believe most part of the world with a Chinese community, some sort of tribute will be made in memory of the boyish looking star. Popular for both his love songs as well as movies, this chap will surely be remembered fondly for his contributions to the Hong Kong music and film industry.

Of all the songs he has, my favourite would still be 'Yau Shui Gong Ming'. What's yours? I wouldn't really say that I grew up hearing his songs. I didn't. It was only this particular song that had an impact on me. His other songs were indeed good but this seemed more meaningful and relates to my life somehow.

Never mind the song's relation to my life and how it impacted me but let's take time off today to at least listen to one of his songs. Perhaps by tuning in to your local Mandarin or Cantonese radio station, you will likely hear Leslie's songs again.

No comments: