Friday, October 17, 2008

SAF enlistment ... either a boy's dream or a mother's nightmare.

In Singapore, every able bodied man will have to serve the nation through conscription and I am no exception however, if you were to ask me about my army days, I'll tell you its lots of fun.

My younger brother Weisheng was enlisted last week and by counting the days, he should be in camp for almost 8 days now and I am sure he is counting down the days to his first book-out.

The military believes in a confinement period whereby new recruits have to stay in camp for at least two weeks and from experience, it is sheer torture. Can you imagine the mental torture that can bring? Argh. I don't want to think about it but too bad, Weisheng is now serving his duty towards the nation.

Having three boys in the family, my parents contribute quite a bit to the defence of the nation. Without us, the nation will not sleep in peace and comfort - something I always tell my friends and colleagues.

I guess it is also a good time to learn how to be independent and surely the best time to keep the body in shape. Going through national service was torturous and we were in it, we just want to get out of it but many friends tell me after having completed the 2 years of service, they kind of miss the life in there but for me it is a complete opposite. I am due for my reservist liability end of this year and I dread it heaps but for the sake of the nation, I will have to make this big sacrifice to be away wearing the color green.

No comments: