Thursday, June 25, 2009

Which is better? To love or be loved? ( Part 2 )

Well, I hardly get so many responses or comments from my blog postings and I am glad many friends took time to read and drop comments about these thoughts I had.

Thank you for dropping in. At least I know the blog is still being read and it is a consolation that people still want to know what is happening in my minute brain. : )

Like many others, I day dream a lot and by writing these thoughts I come up with is just a way of expressing how I feel about certain perspectives in life. Some important and some aren’t.

Some ought to be shared but some should remain unwritten. I made a mistake about writing this topic because Sandy got very angry over this blog.

Caught you! : )

I was kidding about my wife being angry. The only angry people I know of might have ended up hating me for putting up such a blog.

Let’s get back to the topic.

I asked myself if I knew what love really is. Frankly, no.

I had to ponder a little while before I could come up with what love consists of.

Let’s picture love as a pie chart or even better, a pizza.

A full pizza made up of different ingredients to enhance the taste and flavour. Yes, if only I could have some fresh from my neighbourhood delivery. OK, am feeling hungry and craving for Rocky’s Pizza now.

So what makes up a ‘love pizza’? It won’t taste nice only with a thin crust even though that’s my favourite.

A little bit of respect, trust, compromise, care, faith, happiness, laughter, loyalty, devotion and compassion. You can also add a little bit of intimacy, energy, patience, affection etc. So many things make up love and trust me, the list can go on but have we ever thought about the ugly side of things that keep love going? There are more than the above positive descriptions.

But remember your journey in love? There is bound to have encountered elements of selfishness, tears, squabbles, betrayals, lies, irresponsibility, uncertainty, insecurity etc. Again, the list goes on.

I never really heard of a fairy tale love with no misunderstandings, quarrels etc. If this is how your love started and still going strong without a single quarrel or difference in opinions, then you might want to stop and think if it really is true. The person who is holding your hands so tight might just be hiding behind a mask.

Let’s face it. We were not made perfect. We can’t be perfect even in love. There will be some sort of flaw somewhere waiting to be discovered by our partners but what is most important is the virtue of forgiveness. That plays a very important aspect of love so that the pizza will not taste at all bitter.

I agree with many friends that love is not forever. Some day it’ll fade but when it is time to fade, we are likely old and at such an old age, it is only companionship we seek after. We won't go find another lover. Or chances are we won't want to go through the dating again. We only want someone to walk the last steps of our journey on this planet. I don’t think this will be called love but then again, we often see aging grandparents who still hold hands walking in the park, cuddling on the bench and wiping perspiration from the face of their wrinkled spouse. Can we call that love or just a habit of having the company of one another?

Weird thought isn’t it?

Again, I insist Sandy loves me more than I love her. Reason why I say this is because she gives in to me most of the time and she hardly gets her way because her way is usually not my way. See, this is true love because she has discovered that flaw in me but has yet to exploit it and that’s why I love her for who she is and she loves me as who I am. That’s true love which Korean dramas don’t really portray. Remember Full House? : )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aiyo Mark ! You kena big trouble ! And to placate Sandy you need to write such a big big piece only :)