Monday, August 27, 2007

The War Room.....

Only a sliding glass separates us.I sat and looked through the 'fish tank' as a group of guys and gals were in discussion. Tactics and master plans were progressively being formed. Amongst them, disagreements can be heard once in awhile, but laughter of joy mainly filled this room-The War Room they called it.

Seated where I am and visible to the people inside, these copywriters, account managers, art and creative directors were probably thinking if I would be the next person to join the team. They must feel it weird that I am dressed in a shirt and tie, a contrary as they were in T-shirts and jeans. The casual attire that is often found in the creative industry.

Awaiting my turn for the interview, I often wondered what questions will be asked. Would it be something different from the rest of those I have attended years back? Afterall, its my first time trying to enter the advertising field, a career path I always wanted to take but due to the lack of experience, I often shun such jobs advertised in the papers. Who would have known I would suddenly send a resume out and even got selected for the interview. Lucky me. Very lucky me.

Terence, Account Director at Toff&Devs greeted me with a smile.Rather warm and friendly, he started the interview with a few rather interesting questions like why I want to join the industry and how I could contribute.I answered him frankly on the 'whys and hows'. He provided me with insights and perspectives from his view. Really interesting.

Here comes the nerve wrecking part, the test of creativity. Do I have what it takes to deserve the role of a Business Development personnel. From his explanation, BD isn't just a person who hunts for businesses or act as a relationship manager, a BD person has to be able to think on his feet and give suggestions or graphics whenever he is asked especially so during the first visit to the client's office.

I was given the Nike brand, to come up with a teaser. Gee, I felt teased. I cracked my head and thought for a while, we needed something that could lead others to be interested in the advert. I thought of N series (Nokia), as it seemed the series of the new shoes also happened to be N series. For me, am not sure if there are legal consequences but anyway, I didn't voice this idea out, I gave another. Don't ask what i gave, I won't say it.

Terence didn't look impressed. There, I failed to show off or pull off the creative side of me. Till now, I have not heard from him. Its been a week and the last I heard from Terence was that he'll make a decision soon and will let me know. Let's see how lucky I get this time round but I doubt it that he'll give me the opportunity cause I don't think he will want to have a colleague walking around the office carrying ' The dummies guide to advertising'.

No comments: