Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Don Green ...

Green isn't exactly my favourite color. To me, it is often associated with the army -a regimental way of life. So why do I consider 'Don Green' as my title? I guess its the role I am going to play in the next two weeks. A dreadful two weeks of captivity - am heading back for reservist. For you who do not know what reservist is, it is a national duty every Singaporean men have to fulfil to defend the country. Sounds impressive and cool isn't it? Not for me at least.

Six years after I completed my conscription, this is the first time I am going back for a long two week training. After such a long break, I can hardly remember those parade commands given in Malay. Am hoping it will not be as regimental as described by friends who have been through a series of reservist.

I had trouble finding my military belongings and had to purchase some from Beach Road. In fact, I have not tried wearing the uniform, it might just be too small for me as I have put on lots of weight since year 2000. I can't imagine how I will look tomorrow when I report back to camp. Perhaps like a swollen dumpling wrapped in banana leaf.

This two weeks of military commitments would also mean two weeks away from work. You know what? I tried escaping by seeking a deferment but the authorising officer in camp refuses to budge despite my employer's pleas to retain me at work due to a current headcount freeze. Well, I guess national interest comes before making profits and work accountability. Nevertheless, I will have to don those green uniforms once more and make the best of it.

I know I am going to miss working in the office. I mean, who in the right frame of mind would prefer to slog it out in the hot sun donning a thick green uniform. Its not as if I am out there playing games like paintball or tug-of-war. Its going to be drills after drills, exercise after exercise. Am hoping there will be lots of classroom lectures and that those lecture halls are air-conditioned to a temperature of 17 degrees .... lovely.

So as I prepare to go to bed tonight, I am sure I will have difficulty sleeping especially when I do not know what tomorrow will bring and what shocks and surprises the camp would give me. Will the people around be nice and sweet like at my work place or are my peers horrible, cold blooded fighting machines. For now, I can only guess and imagine....

No comments: