Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Singapore River's Boat Quay ...

Seated along the Singapore River,just beneath the towering buildings of Republic Plaza, I find myself surrounded by many local landmarks. Fullerton, Parliament, Asian Civilization Musuem, Supreme Court, Raffles City and many other buildings.

The Singapore River, a popular strip mainly used by early merchants to transport goods in and out of Singapore has changed tremendously over the years.What used to be the veins of the town that carried food has now become a river where tourists enjoy their sight seeing. Seated in sampans, these money spending tourists pay a decent amount to catch a glimpse of the city lights that line the shores as they ride across the tideless river.

You must wonder why am seated here alone. Looking around me, everyone else has got company except me. Well, its just a night that went wrong. I shouldn't be here alone at least. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't stood up nor did I make any plans to meet. Correction. I tried making plans to meet my best friend but once again, he turned cold. Menopause syndromes? :)

Am not complaining much here because am just enjoying the scenery made available. I never would have enjoyed the view here any other day because I would just take the sight for granted. Tonight, it looked different. Cause I am alone.

Its not always a bad thing to be alone sometimes because you take time to reflect about life,family, friends, work and importantly the future. I read some phrase that went ' Yesterday's a memory, today's a present whilst tomorrow is a mystery'. Its true. Today is indeed God's gift to us, thus its called the present and we should enjoy it as much as we can.

Am so tempted to walk to the pubs along Boat Quay to drown my thirst now but due to having taken some cold pills, I don't wish to manage an upset body system with alcohol.

Sometimes I think about life and count the things that I have and don't have. Practically I have everything except kids and my own house but that's only a matter of time. What am measuring is my quality of life that surrounds me. Do I have the best of friends? I don't know how to put it. To be blunt, do I have that many friends.

Seriously, I keep in touch with only a handfull of them and I think that's more than enough to last a life time. Along life's journey, am sure I would pick more friendships but am really contented with what am given now. Sometimes too many friends would mean lots of entertaining. Agree?

Once again, knowing that I cannot withstand being alone for so long, my menopause friend just called. Symptoms cleared I think. Haha. Can't blame him, work and study never mix well. They don't balance especially when exam is a few days away but heck, I can't finish this blog because he has called and asked me to walk over.

So long... And thank you for the company Singapore River.

No comments: