Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Spending a day in Johor Bahru ...






The usual traffic jam lines both side of the causeway. Routine security checks and not so friendly immigration officers greet us at the borders. Tourist friendly? Think again.

I always find myself getting upset over unfriendly immigration officers. Afterall, these uniformed personnel are the first people to greet foreign visitors thus a smile shouldn't hurt.

Wrong subject huh? Should have changed it to something else but let's not kill joy.
Forget the hassle at immigration.

First destination was obviously food - bak kut teh. This corner store at Lion Hotel is a rather popular place for breakfast but for us, it was more a lunch as we reached Johor only at about noon. I have to say the soup was really delicious and we cannot find something similar in Singapore as those in Singapore are usually filled with a heavy pepper taste. Cost ? RM50 which equates to about S$21.

Its very normal for Singaporeans to comment that the meals or shopping in Malaysia is relatively cheap and its all thanks to the stronger Singapore dollar against a weaker Ringgit. This is one reason why Malaysia is still the place for Singaporeans to find a quick getaway holiday.

Shopping followed after the quick lunch and Sandy started on her expedition to buy shoes. I never understand what's with women and shoes. They love to buy lots of them but they always fail to realise that they can only wear one pair at a time. I guess she always wanted to be an Octopus. : )

I won't go into the details of what we bought and where we went as this will bore you further but I have to say the trip was fun and the seafood dinner was great. Look at the pictures and I am sure you will start drooling.

And yes, before I forget, a friendly reminder to all tourists who want to visit the Peninsula or any other country. Always remember to check your passports and make sure the immigration officer endorses your arrival and departure.

This evening, Sandy's passport wasn't stamped when we left. Can you imagine what will happen when she tries to enter again the next time? She might be prosecuted in court for leaving the country illegally as her passport didn't show proof of a legal exit.

All thanks to my sensitive ear that I realised something was amiss. I only heard the sound of 2 stampings despite handing over 3 foreign passports. Thus lesson learnt. Double checking never hurts but just one single error could lead to a disastrous outcome.

I somewhat saved my wife today. She owes me one now. : )

No comments: