Monday, October 20, 2008

A queue so long ...

It took several hours before grandma was able to see the doctor and that was quite a long wait.

The Cancer Centre was filled with patients and accompanying relatives. Seats were limited and some patients were left to stand around while waiting for their turn to consult the doctor. There were those luckier ones who owned a private seat - the wheelchair.

Seated with grandma and godma, we joked and laughed our time away and mainly at fellow patients as well as doctors. Ok, I know. We are a mean bunch but what to do? The time was crawling and the timing of the appointment wasn't kept as scheduled.

We joked that every patient who visits the centre would likely end up queuing at a Singapore Pools buying lottery and that was the main reason why Singapore General Hospital decided to use the queue number system with 4 digits. Our number was 1034.
Now that you have read it, go and buy it. You might just get lucky reading my blog.

Anyway, while I was seated at the Cancer Centre, I realized that life is really fragile and along life's journey, we'll never know when we'll end up at that place as a patient and given a private seat ( once again, the wheelchair). It is kind of a scary thought as both the ladies I was with were patients who battled the same enemy - cancer.

Cancer is one of the main culprit that takes lives away, killing it slowly. I guess I somewhat know the pain as I saw two of my closest relatives, Godma and grandmother suffer from it. They went through it all. I learnt a lot from the experience they went through and whenever I saw them in pain, I too felt the pain and tears would well up in the eyes. It is something I'll try to forget but deep inside, I know it will not be forgotten as this is part of my life's journey with them.

Forget the sobbing stories. Three of us spent the day together laughing most of the time and that was important. Laughing helps kill germs and bacteria. : )

No comments: