Thursday, April 08, 2010

Pregnant versus Aged


Just yesterday while at dinner with a couple of friends, we discussed about the giving up of seats on public transport.

 

See. We have two pregnant ladies amongst us and they both have received the honor of having someone give up their seat for them while on a train or a bus.

 

Who says our society is lacking in courtesy and kindness that requires expensive campaigns? Well, I am not actually going to talk about the campaigns and how it managed to help our society by turning it into a gracious community in Singapore.

 

Let me ask you a question.

 

Assuming you are seated comfortably on the train and a pregnant lady walks through the doors of the train with her hands on her hips. Behind her is a frail man aged 70 thereabouts who looks weak enough to fall off when the train departs its station.

 

Given such a scenario, who will you give up your seat to? It is an open argument.

 

One friend said that he'll give it up for the pregnant lady because it'll benefit two lives rather than one. Another friend made a funny remark saying that it'll only benefit the mother because it didn't matter to the unborn child whether or not he was seated.

 

As for me, I think I would give up the seat for the old man. I don't know why but I thought it'll be better for the old man to sit. Don't ask me for the reason because if I said it, I am sure many people will start shooting at me.

 

So what's your take? If at all possible, turn to the next person and ask him or her to also give up the seat so that both the old and the pregnant can have their priority seats. : )



No comments: